BDO has been on the periphery of my awareness for a while now but only recently did I consider playing when the game launches. There are a lot of features that interest me— game modes that I haven’t experienced in the MMOs I play— but there are also several concerns that I have. So what I thought I would do is make a list of pros and cons and hopefully receive some feedback from others.
- Beautiful world design and character creation.
- An interesting take on action combat.
- More classes I’m interested in playing than I’ll ever have time to try.
- Housing, horse drawn carts, inventory weight limits, variation by region in the demand of goods, and a myriad of other bits that make this MMO more of a sandbox.
- The knowledge system—I can’t say I fully understand it, but what I do sounds great.
- A buy to play business model.
- The gameplay shifts from a PvE focus to a PvP focus at level 50. Depending on the community and whether the game was designed to discourage griefing, this may be a deal breaker for me. Even under ideal circumstances, I might not like that type of gameplay.
- At higher levels progression relies more on grinding mobs than running quests.
- The game does not seem like the kind that would work well as a secondary MMO, but rather requires a lot of time committed.
- I’m not a fan of the visual style of Korean games. It’s beautiful— there’s no question about it—but it may take me some immersed in the game to gain an appreciation for the art style.
- The energy system—I probably need to read more about this, but depending on how limiting it is on what you can do each day (and whether they sell boosts in the cash shop), it could be problematic. That said, it could also make for interesting choices, so this might switch to a pro once I understand it better.
There are probably a few other details I could throw in, but those are the main reasons I am excited about the game but unsure whether or not I’ll buy it at all, let alone pre-order. I may wait and see how the first 3-4 months go before making a decision so that I have a better idea of the community and end game however I’m always a little jealous of people who start a game in beta or right at launch so maybe I’ll take the risk and give it a try.
Is anyone else excited about Black Desert? What are the top features you’re anticipating? What are your concerns?